Tuesday 8 April 2014

Love is...

Love is also when one of your favourite, guilty secret, bands play an intimate gig for just 200 people and tickets go on sale at 9am just as you start teaching and have sold out by 09.08.  But your bestie uses her planning time to get on line and secure you two tickets despite the fact that she isn't even free to go with you on that day!  

THAT's how I secured two tickets to see Scouting for Girls at the Borderline in July 2013.

Scouting for girls is a bit of a departure for me, the band was formed this millennium for a start, and forces me to forsake the MAFM for the ETFs (emotional teenage fans) but nevertheless who I am to deny the sirens call, their music makes me happy.



So, with Janie moonlighting at a 'Of Monsters and Men' gig on the same night, I did have to bribe my somewhat reluctant next desk neighbour Charlotte to come and brave the adolescent hormones with me.  But what was not to like?  The borderline is an intimate venue and the band performed with energy, enthusiasm and good humour, there was ample opportunity to sing along and…… with the vast majority of the audience under age - NO QUEUE at the bar!!!!  Result!!!



Dance Happy Jude
Evil Work Twin Charlotte
Roy Stride - Forced to look away when I caught him staring at me :)



SET LIST
Make That Girl Mine
Millionaire
Without You (Naked)
Summertime In The City
Love How It Hurts
Take A Chance On Us
Silly Song
Famous
This Ain’t A Love Song
Keep On Walking
I Wish I Was James Bond
It’s Not About You
Heartbeat
Elvis Ain’t Dead
ENCORE
Rains In LA
Posh Girls
The Mountains Of Navaho
Michaela Strachan
She’s So Lovely
Luckily my dance happy partner in crime got to share the love, and be told that she is also 'so love-er-lee' when we caught up with Scouting for Girls again at the Royal Albert Hall in November.   The Albert Hall may have plush carpets, clean toilets  and non-sticky floors but it's no place to get really dance happy.  Seated ticketing only, means the best you can do is stand up in your row and bounce like a demented jack-in-a-box.  There is none of the joy of working your way to the front (by carrying 2 beers and pretending that you are meeting a friend) and you can't even kid yourself that they looked RIGHT AT YOU for that last number.  Fab music and great company but a decidedly sanitised version of the Borderline.

Once we all waved lighters but in these health and safety conscious times we wave our iPhone.  A pretty moment at the Royal Albert Hall.

No comments:

Post a Comment