Thursday 5 February 2015

First Aid Kit

I wasn't sure.  It is Janie who has a soft spot for all things Swedish and I have few female vocalists in my playlists so why I was going out on a cold work night to see Swedish sisters sing wasn't entirely clear.


First Aid Kit - January 27th 2015


I had, of course, heard First Aid Kit and they make an undeniably beautiful sound.  I like their voices in my kitchen, but I wasn't sure that there was anything to be gained from seeing them live.

I was wrong (ish)

The Hammersmith Odeon, as was, is a special venue for me (the screen ripples and I allow myself a few minutes to wallow in nostalgia) but it is a tricky venue for a woman of my advancing years and pathetically disagreeable back.  The floor is quite seriously raked and it isn't easy to stand for any length of time.  Obviously I was not alone, as before the music began, the ground floor resembled something of a university 'sit in' circa 1985 and the urge to give a rousing chorus of "We shall not be moved" was strong.

The support act was a jolly but sadly forgettable pub singer from Croydon. 

Then the girls arrived on stage.  They don't just make a beautiful sound.  They are musicians.  They are artists.  They are also mesmerising on stage.  The blonde one, Gah!  I don't know which is Johanna and Klara, is like a puppy.  Enthusiastic and playful she looks simply thrilled to be on her stage.  She manages to change from angel, to minx, to Cousin It and back again in the blink of an eye.  It's hard to take your eyes off her.

The other one who may or may not be called Klara appears  calmer and takes control of the set.  I can't say much more about her because an amazonian woman had chosen an 'up-do' to go to a gig.


Why?  Just why???
  
But together they do something magical, and these two young women cast such a spell over the sold out Apollo that they unplugged themselves, came to the front and sang - just sang to a silent crowd.  Stunning.





The gig was all kinds of beautiful.  The country influences are a little overpowering for me at times and even their youth, beauty and song writing failed to make it sound entirely relevant.  In fact, some of my favourite moments were the covers and none more so than their homage to the genius of Paul Simon.


Overall I left with a warm glow.  These girls are class, there's something ethereal about them.  And as such, the venue didn't quite work for me.  If there's a next time it will be in the open air with champagne.



2 comments:

  1. Johanna is Cousin It, Klara is the darker haired sister. Thank you for humouring my Swedish obsession and coming out on a school night. I'm pleased I finally got to see them live :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phew! I guessed at the calmer one being Klara. And you are very welcome, thank you for taking me. I look forward to introducing you to Death Cab for Cutie :)

    ReplyDelete